I'm going to have them. I have LOVED this summer, LOVED my girls' ages, LOVED swimming, LOVED our calendar of pool playdates, LOVED having a "normal" family summer. We have either been moving, settling in, figuring out how to do life with twins, or something or another for a lot of summers, and this summer was just plain Americana life. So we have squeezed important Last Times at the Pool in and around preschool this week. Monday was with my mom, and we had the pool to ourselves.


This picture is not winning any awards, but I want a record of the fact that I have gotten to be quite the expert at doing the pool with my girls- sunscreening, swimsuiting, swim diapering, floatie-ing, lunch packing, toy-bringing, and dry clothes to change into so we can go right down for afternoon naps when we get home. I've got it down pat, and I've loved every minute (well most minutes) of being at the pool with my daughters. There aren't many pics to prove it since I'm on the other side of the camera, but officially, "I was here."

So was Grammy on Monday. We had anticipated her being able to help focus on Joy, who prefers to practice actually swimming minus her puddle jumper these days, but it's hard for me to do with her solo and also keep an eye on the others. Joy was not feeling anything other than some mean teeth coming in on Monday (and the ant that bit my shoulder and her cheek at the same time while I was holding her), so it ended up being Blythe's morning to shine with Grammy.


This morning we got in our last time with the Jones family, with whom we put our
first toes in the water in the spring, so it's appropriate that our last day in the pool before Labor Day was with their family! It's amazing that our timid little swimmers are now swimming without floats! Quite the transformation in a matter of months.

Their pool has a park nearby, and the fact that perhaps my kids, if not me, are getting pool-ed out, is evidenced by how much they wanted to play at the park after lunch and had such a grand time.

And so we have a good reminder that there is wonderful life even after summer, and the beginnings of a sweet fall are just around the corner!
1 comment:
I'm going to have a few pool withdrawals myself this year. Starting with the twice daily swims at the Beach and ending with Monday morning, I don't know when I enjoyed watching the kids enjoying WATER so much. I think it was when their Mamas and Dads were enjoying it just like this at just the same ages...
Post a Comment