Yesterday was one of my favorite Saturdays ever as a family of five- in the morning we had a great little hike up Kennesaw Mtn in misty weather, followed by checking out a farmers market I haven't been to, followed by picking up a few cupcakes at a bakery I've been eyeing since we moved here. It was a sweet day from start to finish.
Sadly, my camera battery was dead, so I've got no photos to show for it. Instead, I'm passing on a few recent adventures in my kitchen.
1. Eggplant was on sale at Publix the other week, thus Eggplant and Portobello Mushroom Melts with Granna's Not Really Fried Okra. The sandwiches were awesome- Jake was a big fan, so there's hope your husband might be, too.
2. I know I mentioned I'm into okra this summer- we also tried this Okra and Corn Maque Choux. I should have taken a picture because it is so colorful, but most dinnertimes hardly have time for eating, much less photographing!
3. Scarlotte asked for the recipe for Jake's cake at his surprise party. It's a long funny story that I'll tell at some point- but the cake itself is a dark chocolate box mix. The icing is Julie Boldt's recipe that she gave me when Jake and I were newlyweds- it is SO easy and absolutely amazing every time. I even used it on some cupcakes for Jake's office the other day, and it piped perfectly out of the bag.
Mocha Icing
2 sticks butter, softened
1 1 lb. box of powdered sugar
1 T instant coffee granules
Dissolve coffee into 1 T cool water. Cream butter, add sugar in small amounts, beating after each addition. When half the sugar has been added, mix in small amounts of coffee alternately with remaining sugar. *If you want an even stronger coffee taste, you can always add a little more coffee and thicken the icing with a tad more powdered sugar.
4. Sandy gave me that Deceptively Delicious book by Jessica Seinfeld a few years ago- the one that sneaks fruit and veggie purees into normal dishes. Since I am constantly pureeing fruits and veggies for the twins, I thought I might get into doing a little extra to try some of these recipes. My first one was a HUGE hit for the three of us old enough for peanut butter.

Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins
nonstick cooking spray
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup carrot or cauliflower puree (I used carrot)
1/2 cup banana puree
1 large egg white
1 cup whole wheat flower
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350, coat 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with baking cups.
2. In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix 1/2 c brown sugar with the peanut butter, vegetable and banana purees, and the egg white.
3. Put flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl or ziploc and stir or shake to mix. Add to bowl with peanut butter mixture and stir just to combine (batter will be lumpy, do not overmix.) Add remaining 1/2 c brown sugar and stir once or twice.
4. Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until muffins are lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean, 15-20 minutes (my oven's fast and took closer to 13 min). Turn muffins out on rack to cool.
5. Store in airtight container at room temp for 2 days or wrap individually and freeze up to a month.
1 comment:
Thanks so much for the icing recipe, Em... I can't wait to try it!!
Post a Comment