I tried to redeem the day with a post-nap front yard blanket of toys, easel and watercolors. After coating the girls in bug spray (they inherited not only Jake's good looks, but also his skin that mosquitos love) to fend off the dive-bombing predators, I ran inside to wash the poison off my hands. I moved this citronella candle I was using to assist in the mosquito defense 10 feet away from the blanket- everyone was distracted and happy, the candle a safe distance away.
After less than 20 seconds inside, I cleared the doorway in time to see Abby Jane dump her watercoloring water on the candle just as Blythe was one foot away from touching the flame.
I truly believe the Holy Spirit moved my child to do that. How would a two-year-old know to put out a flame with water? We cannot think of a single instance she has ever seen a fire put out with water. Much less to convert anything she might have read about to dumping her watercoloring water out.
I was dumbfounded and humbled by the miracle I had just seen. I just read this weekend in A Mother's Heart by Jean Fleming, the phrase, "God is our only circumstance." (Highly, highly recommend the book, by the way.) In all the craziness of today, it just takes an instant to realize how "God towers above our circumstances."
That photo of the dirty old candle with a puddle of water in it will always be a reminder that our God is a God of miracles, Who is always working and moving and protecting us, even when we don't see the puddle of water to prove it.
A last thought. If I had only seen the flame put out with water, I might have missed the fact that Abby Jane saved her sister from being burned. I would have only seen her over by the candle making a mess. How often in life do we only focus on the bad side of an event that God allows, and not what He's saving us from, totally missing seeing the miracle?
3 comments:
This made me tear up:) So amazing how God works! Will try to read that book...
Seriously, tearing up. That's wonderful, if hard. I'm reading that book right now (about 2/3 through), on your recommendation. It IS a wonderful book. It's the best, gentlest book on mothering I've read yet. It's made me want to be so much gentler with my children, to always see them as the little gifts they are.
I'm sorry you have to delay your trip. I hope your weekend is a surprisingly relaxing one.
Awesome perspective! Love to read your blog and making chocolate cupcakes with mocha icing right now and just cut my okra for tonight!! Wish you were here. Hope to see you in aTL..
Post a Comment