Sandy made this recipe for us a couple of weeks ago, and I've made it multiple times since. Very little hands-on time, the taste of fried okra without the deep frying fat. I also like that it is a family recipe.
Ingredients:
- desired amount of okra, I'm guessing around a 1 or 1 1/2 is average amount, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
-1/3 cup white cornmeal
-1 T flour
-salt and pepper
-1 egg, whipped* (see note below)
-"just enough bacon grease to shine your cast iron skillet" is the official recipe, but I just add a couple T of canola oil
Directions:
Heat oven to 320 (I've jacked it up to 400 for a little while when I've been in a hurry a few times, though). Put whatever you're using as a cooking oil, be it bacon grease, shortening, or oil, in the skillet and put in oven to heat and "shine the bottom of the skillet." Remove skillet and combine all other ingredients in the skillet and bake in oven at least 4o minutes, up to one hour, depending on how crispy you want it.
*The first time I made it, I forgot the egg. I liked it eggless and a little drier, more just salty and crumbly topping on the okra. With the egg, it's even more of a fried taste, but still without the deep frying and heavy breading.
** WARNING: IT'S ADDICTING!
No comments:
Post a Comment