Sandy said I should blog this. I think I will, but don't make too much fun.
I believe there's no reason not to get your kids to eat really healthily from the start- the less junk you introduce, the less they know they're missing out on. For instance, if Abby Jane wants a treat, the way she usually asks for it is, "Can I have a _____ after my vegetables?" because she knows that's a non-negotiable every night.
Makes me feel like a veggie Nazi.
But she doesn't know that that's not how kids normally ask for treats.
SOO yesterday morning, Abby Jane's mid-morning snack was banana she dipped in toasted flaxseed (you can get it at Trader Joe's).
Then for lunch, another recipe from Deceptively Delicious, and definitely the most "out there" in the book... tofu nuggets. Now Jane LOVES tofu burgers, but the reason this whole thing is notable is that the binder from the tofu to the breading part is a PEA PUREE. It totally does not look pretty. But the kid eats them like they're her last meal. No, I will not post a photo.
So it all comes back to your kid's point of reference. She thinks this is normal eating.
Someday, she'll find out that it is not. But as long as I can keep her liking the healthy stuff, I will.
Now, to poke fun at myself, I will show the following pictures of my kids, courtesy of my sister. She says my kids are orange. I always thought Abby Jane was just tan in California, and I think that was part of it as we practically lived outdoors, but I asked the doctor about Blythe and Joy's coloring on Monday... and she said she noticed, too, and that it wasn't a bad thing.
She said their slightly orange tint is due to their vegetable intake- of all colors, not just yellows and oranges.
So these are so you can laugh at my orange, veggie-filled children (Abby Jane at her 10 month Christmas)
A pic from Jodi from 4th of July weekend- check out the twins' coloring in comparison to Maggie...
Now that I've written all that, I'm thinking that what Sandy wanted me to post was the tuna wrap I told her about. See, this is what happens when I should have gone to bed when Jake did two hours ago. Anywho, this tuna was easy and awesome- we skipped the olives b/c I had none on hand.
How's that for a random post?
3 comments:
Great post! I would love to see pictures of the tofu nuggest!
I LOVE that your children are veggie filled! I think that it is a perfect point of reference!! I have been hearing good things about Deceptively Delicioius... you've convinced me to get it!
I totally agree with you! I've come to love soups for this reason. It's amazing how many veggies I can cram in a pot. A just sips the broth with a straw and then adores the "chunkies." Bonus, I can whip it into babyfood and even freeze it for leftovers. Let's hear it for orange babies :-)
Post a Comment