I am obsessed with our farmers market. I thought I'd show you how we roll at the market. Everyone always remembers us and wants to see/speak to the girls each week... something about the number of little people or the length of my stroller seems to stick in folks' memories...
We have subscribed to a 10-week weekly delivery of veggies from Turtle Bend, a local sustainable farm. I HAVE LOVED IT! We receive different veggies each week, many of which I have never prepared. It's been such a fun challenge to figure out what to do with things like rainbow chard, turnips, kale, and baby leeks. Pictured below is my first week's delivery. Don't you just look at that and feel healthy and fresh? We are now on week three, and so far have liked everything we've tried!
And now I have a story about how little people think.
I had been saving up a fun activity for Abby Jane and I for just the right time- an afternoon or morning she wasn't too tired for me to could keep her up after putting the twins down for a nap. This is how it went:
Me: "Abby Jane, do you want to do something fun with Mama?"
Abby Jane: "YES, Mama!"
Me: "OK, go put on your hat and shoes and meet me in the driveway!"
Abby Jane runs to obey, and I meet her in the driveway with empty washed baby food jars, potting soil, and seeds.
Me: "Abby Jane, do you want to plant some seeds in these jars so we can watch the flowers grow?"
Abby Jane, utter delight: "YES, Mama!"
We pour the potting soil, poke holes in the dirt for the seeds, "tuck the seeds in bed", put a little water in each jar. I sit back on my heels, pleased with how well it had gone.
Me: "Abby Jane, was that so fun?"
Abby Jane: "Yes."
Me: "OK, it's time to go night-night."
MELTDOWN.
Abby Jane: "I WANT TO WATCH THE FLOWERS GROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Oops. I forgot to clarify that the flowers wouldn't grow instantaneously.
Me: "Oh, Abby Jane. You know how Blythe and Joy sleep a lot? Well, the seeds need a lot of sleep, too. We tucked them in the dirt, and they'll need to sleep for a long time before we see the flowers grow."
Abby Jane is OK with this and goes to bed. Three hours later, she wakes up and I go into her room. I had barely cleared the doorway when she says with great anticipation,
"Are the seeds awake yet???!!!"
Here are the jars right after planting...
Now, two weeks later, almost all of them have sprouted!
2 comments:
That is precious Em.:) ME and I planted some flowers too...we are still watching them grow-no flowers yet...hoping they'll come soon so she can see the result of her work.:)
That is hilarious! I can totally imagine the tragedy of finding out they aren't instant flowers. Good recovery, by the way. Hey, can I come live at your house? You guys do such fun things!!
Post a Comment