Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Open House

I became partial to Valentine's when one of my kids decided to delay her arrival by two weeks, pushing her into a new month and less than a week from the day of love itself. I dig making valentines, eating valentines, talking about God's love, etc etc.  This year's Valentine's open house had some backstory to it that is not necessarily blogworthy, except to note that it was going to happen, then it wasn't, then it was, and by then the number of attendees had dwindled a bit. But the morning dawned in the 20's and 30's and I even saw some flurries when I went out to the mailbox to put out some balloons.  All the husbands were at a men's conference.  I could not think of a better way to spend a frigid dad/husband-less Saturday morning than with friends, valentines, coffee, and treats!

Below is exhibit A of recycled princess party decorations, plus some hearts.
Note: food was not recycled from the princess party.
 Half the kiddos were more interested in playing than valentining. I use Abby Jane's valentines as her thank-you notes from her birthday, so at some point pretty early on in the party, I gave up her personal valentine boot camp and let her do them later when she didn't have so many fun friends to play with!

 Beautiful Fallon came straight from her ballet class to join us!
I'm beginning to make it a tradition to stay in PJs for any party at our house that includes crafts.  Maybe this is lazy, but my kids dig the decision. 


 Joy + markers = trouble. Note the ever present Auburn shirt.  Thankfully we have two that I can rotate through the wash. 
 Miss Kristin brought cookies for decorating. This was my food-oriented children's favorite activity.
 Dylan found the "pour" hole in the sprinkles cap.
I looked back and realized this is our third Valentine's gathering of sorts.  This was our very first with a few dear friends and our itty bitties out in L.A. I didn't have enough friends for a party our first Valentine's in Atlanta.  Just kidding.  Not really. We'll blame it on three month old twins and Jake leaving me for a trip to Cambodia. Then last year's get-together had about as many moms and toddlers as you could cram in our shoebox at one time.  I like how these things evolve and change with each year.  Wonder what next year will hold? Maybe I won't be too lazy for the paint and glue I skipped this year! Joy will be three by then, after all. :)

2 comments:

Trina said...

Love the pictures, especially the one with Fallon, Abby Jane, and Maddy! I'm so glad we were able to get together after all.

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com