Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mom Jeans

Do you remember seeing a pair of jeans and thinking, "oh those are mom jeans".  It was not a compliment to the jeans. Or the wearer.
I have a new definition.
I was talking to my big sis while I was folding laundry the other day and was horrified to discover that a pair of jeans I LOVE have a hole developing in the knee. These are not bum around jeans or hiking jeans. They're ballet flat jeans.  I bought them at the J.Crew outlet in Oxnard, just north of Malibu, on March 4, 2009.  I know the date because it was a spring shopping date with Jake and Abby Jane three days before we found out we were expecting Abby Jane's younger brother or sister. Which means I pretty much wore these jeans twice that spring before it was too warm for them and I started sprouting twins. Therefore I looked forward to wearing them for a long time. When I finally got to put them on, I appreciated them deeply. J.Crew called them "matchstick". Something about the word "stick" as a type of jeans was extra empowering to a postpartum lady who felt more "branch" or "tree trunk" at the time.
As I expressed my disbelief that good jeans would get a hole so easily, my wise sister said she knew exactly how it got there because the same thing happened to her.
When you're a mom, you spend a lot of time... A LOT OF TIME... on the floor and on your knees. It can put some strain on a poor pair of jeans when you're continuously getting up and down, kneeling with your kids, all day long. 
My sister suggested trying to fix the hole.  But now that she told me it's from my daily lifestyle on the floor with my kids, I see that hole in my knee as a badge of honor. I may still fix it, but for now, I take a little pride in that tiny yet growing hole.  It's evidence of life as I know it... in my mom jeans.

4 comments:

Trina said...

There are some very creative patching ideas out there too!

The Gregorys said...

I like it. And thanks for making me sound so wise.

Maggie M. Cooper said...

Love this Em!:) If you find a good way to patch it let me know! I have a pair I wore once (that I actually did pay full price for-not consignment:)) and they got a rip on the thigh! Random I know! I've been waiting for a cute way to fix them:)

Bev Elliott said...

Excuse me.... "Mom jeans?!"