Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sewing Machine Survey

Yesterday was my birthday- and no, not the twins' as well!  Jake took Abby Jane and I to one of my favorite breakfast places, J. Christopher's, in the morning, then last night he came home with the fixings for a shrimp and grits dinner that he fixed by himself (the shrimp was just caught off the GA coast yesterday morning!) 
SUCH a treat.  I am married to the most wonderful man in the world.  Abby Jane was very excited to help blow out candles!

She also loved the musical card that I received and had a hard time focusing on anything else after that was opened!  I'm holding the box that contained a sewing kit saying that I get to pick out...

one of these!  I'm SO excited.  It may be a while before I get around to sewing, but I can't wait!  
SOOO since so many of you are now accomplished little seamstresses, tell me your favorite machine!  

This is the Brother SE-350, which was Lindsey's recommendation.  If what she turns out from that machine is any indication of how great it is, then it's the one I should pick for sure. Check out her blog- she sells the cutest, cutest things (several of you have received baby presents that were her creations) and is currently doing the twins' Christmas dresses!

10 comments:

The Muncies said...

happy happy bday!!!! can't wait to see what you create...in all of your spare time! :)

lhassler said...

I'm so happy that you're getting a sewing machine! I really wish I had more time to do projects. Maybe you're motivating me to get it out and do it.

The only thing I can say on sewing machines is to try and get one with as many metal parts as possible. Machines can easily breakdown with the computerized/plasticized newer ones. The one I have was one that schools used to purchase for their home-ec class rooms, thus very durable. Not fancy, but durable. I wish I could remember the brand.

jane said...

i have the most basic singer-- i love it b/c it is super easy to figure out... not intimidating and overwhelming. easy to thread.... it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it gets the job done.

i was really hoping i would get to see you again before the girls arrived... but i'm sure you are super busy until friday. email me your address and i will try to mail you the baby wrap so that you will have it to use right away. i'm am planning to bring y'all a meal after y'all get home and i'll help you figure out how to use it if you haven't already become a pro...
praying for a safe delivery!

Julie said...

Emily I have a Janome sewing machine (no embroidery) and I love it. It is a great basic machine and easy to operate. I desperately want an embroidery machine and have done a lot of research on them and it seems that Brother is the best bang for your buck. I have been looking at just the embroidery machines (since I already have a sewing machine) and am convinced that when I decide to get one that I will get a Brother. So I think the SE-350 combo machine would be perfect for you!

Julie said...

Yes you will definitely want the embroidery component! I mean us southern girls will monogram ANYTHING!!! And with three girls you will definitely save money doing it yourself.

Smocking is so much fun! If we lived closer I would love to teach you.

Cannot wait to see those little girls!!! We are praying for you.

JJ said...

I am so excited for the birth just a few days away!! We love you all and will be chatting for you! Can't wait to hear/read about it! Oh and even the most basic sewing machine will do a lot and is you won't waste money having it, just so you know!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for the shout out! I put pictures of the twins dresses on Slagsrags today! Can't wait to see the sweet girls!

Erin said...

I am SUCH a beginner, but I love my Brother machine! It does everything I could ever need it for, and it's certainly not too fancy. Not sure of the model number on mine, but it looks like you've got it narrowed down to a good one. Have fun!

The Fite Family said...

I have this machine and LOVE IT. Congrats on the twins

Jennie said...

Hey Emily! I use a bernina, and I love it. I got it used on ebay, and it does have the embroidery component - I'm a big fan. :) The girls are ADORABLE, and I hope these first few days at home have been sweet...