Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pottytraining Twins

So, for any of you who don't know, Jake decided that while Abby Jane and I were in LA, he would pottytrain the twins. Go ahead and insert here all the accolades and praises and comments about how ridiculously amazing he is and how I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have picked this guy. 

So while we were in LA, I got multiple picture texts of various successes in the potty, and things went very well for him, all things considered. He was the one to get the girls through that sit-around-and-wait-by-the-potty stage that can be exhausting. They performed for him in all arenas. Though there was one incidence in which our Harry the Dirty Dog book became a little dirtier by some misfire and needed cloroxing as a result.

When I came home, I felt very confident taking over the reigns of the daily runnings of our household with all three girls and pottytraining the twins, given the point to which Jake got me after a few days of hard work, lots of loads of laundry, a good bit of pretzel M&M consumption (lower in fat), and a great dose of daddy/girl bonding time.

Well.

Those first three days back were among the very hardest I've ever had as a parent, as somehow naps got thrown for a tailspin when pottytraining began. As Sandy put it, they were feeling their Wheaties.  It also turns out that Blythe likes to go on the potty for Daddy, but for Mama, she just likes to "hold it" until her naptime diaper.  It's not potty training if you don't use the potty.

 We made a go of it for those three days. Then we remembered that these twins have nothing in common other than a birthday and the day they first rolled over, so why on earth should we expect them to be ready to potty train simultaneously? So we took the pressure off Blythe, and we'll try with her again when she's more ready. That might seem like a simple decision, but I cannot express the relief it brought!

So now we have two out of three who are in princess panties in our home! YEAA for such an exciting step! Blythe is a great cheerleader. She giggles and says in her falsetto little voice, "Tankle, tankle! ["tinkle, tinkle"- thanks Mimi for expanding their vocab] Good job, Jew [Joy]!"
 ALSO, I never mentioned that we pulled the pacis the day after Easter! Joy woke from a nap saying her paci was "owwie" in her mouth, and I sagely explained that her mouth must be too grown up for her paci now, and that was the end of that. Blythe wanted to be a grown-up, too, so just like that, after almost two and a half years of being major naptime paci junkies, they kicked the habit. The only downfall there was that they chat for a long time before falling asleep for naps. I guess the pacis impeded their conversations. Sometimes I miss those pacis. It was a lot quieter back then.Those two seem to be trying to solve world hunger every afternoon, but eventually, they do fall asleep.

No comments: