I took private tennis lessons, played on tennis teams, and travelled to play in tennis tournaments from seventh grade through my senior year of high school. At one point I was ranked 56th in the state of Georgia. But that was because I actually won a match down in St. Simons, and I think it was only out of 60 girls who were on the tournament circuit. Regardless, I spent countless hours at lessons, practices, camps, the whole nine yards for YEARS. Then I met Jake. Who has never had a single lesson. He has questionable form. But he beats me ALL. THE. TIME. That bothered me- maybe still bothers me- but at least it makes for competitive games because typically the score doesn't really reflect the game. So we both have fun.
Now I say that like we play a lot. We used to. Then I got pregnant about five years ago, and we only played a few times while I was pregnant before that stopped being fun. We had big plans to bring Abby Jane in her infant car seat to nap while we played, but she wasn't that kind of infant, so... it turns out we've had a long siesta our playing days. We used that time to acquire three pink tennis rackets at various consignment sales... which all leads up to last Saturday. The day we officially went to a tennis court to introduce the girls to tennis.
We had a good start. Everyone was trying to hit the ball with their little pink rackets.Some people liked to throw the ball and hit it simultaneously for added results.
Some people liked just running around.
Nobody liked when some 20 yr old activities center intern came out and told us you had to be over 16 to play on university courts. On an empty Saturday morning. We pointed out that they weren't actually playing, which would take about .47 seconds to observe. But he said that if they were holding the rackets, then it was considered playing. Yeah, that sat well with Jake and I.
But, moving forward, there were thankfully community courts nearby that we made a transition to. After a short time attempting to play there, the girls became more interested in the bleachers next to the courts, and Jake and I decided to play best out of three games while they were distracted.
He won, 2-0.
Looking forward to more weekend mornings out letting the girls play around on tennis courts, and maybe someday they too will acquire their daddy's winning ability without a single lesson and slightly questionable form, a.k.a LUCK.
P.S. If you're reading this, Babe, that's smack talk.
3 comments:
Emily, I just had to comment because this sounds EXACTLY like Adam and I. I've played tennis all my life, he's never had a lesson, has horrible form, and he ALWAYS beats me! It drives me crazy!! Haha, oh well. Your girls are precious, I love reading your blog!
I have to say I was a bit surprised...surprised that Blythe was not wearing the racket cover around her neck, holding the tennis racket in one hand...and her water bottle in the other, with a baby under her arm and possibly a string of beads around her neck.
And you play tennis. What don't you do? Me, I took tennis in high school for one semester. It. Went. Badly. Can you give me lessons? :-)
Post a Comment