It's here! Our local farmer's market kicked off in the beginning of May, and it is better than ever. This is my fourth season attending this market, and I think this season's mixture of vendors is the best yet. There are several new faces with things I love- my favorite unusual take-homes other than the usual suspects (zucchini, vidalia onions, tomatos, etc.) from last week: "Bright Lights" Swiss chard (stalks pictured below), variety of lettuces from a new organic grower (with several plots within 10 miles from our home- love the locality!) apple molasses vinaigrette, and a delicious variety of goat cheeses I served at a party we had last weekend.
I hoped the hot pink would invite my girls to join us in our delicious greens, but they weren't enticed enough... this time.Along with our Swiss chard that night, we had this sandwich I adapted from Pinterest- swapped pita for flatbread and added a little Balsamic- and it was an explosion of amazingness in our mouths. Soooo good.
Then it happened. Today, the peaches showed up. OH the peaches. The twins (Jane's still in school) got samples and could hardly contain themselves until we got home for lunch, when they promptly together inhaled three peaches in five minutes.
Joy a.k.a. Peach Vacuum cannot get enough. No one in our family can. Let's just say I walked in the door today at noon with 15 peaches. At this point, we're down to four. I kid you not. It's a whole week til we can get more from our favorite grower, but it looks like I need to get two bags instead of one next time! LOOOVE Farmer's Market Tuesday!! Our town may not be known for its general health-minded-ness or appreciation of anything organic or locally grown... but it's not for lack of opportunity to stock up on goodness every Tuesday morning!
No comments:
Post a Comment