Tuesday, May 8, 2012

After school program

Bet y'all didn't know we ran one, but we do. Almost every single day, after the girls' naps, I begin it. Then, while I fix dinner, Jake finishes it.  After school program, backyard Bible club, garage toy rental... we have different names for it. But pretty much every day, it's Jake or me or both of us with a minimum of seven children, sometimes more if a neighbor has a friend over to play.  I glanced in the front yard while I was cooking the other day and saw Jake conducting a limbo line, so I thought I would capture some every day life.
Though we would truly enjoy having time just by ourselves with our kids outside, we are usually glad for the chance to love on some kids who are kind to our children and honestly in need of a bit of extra love themselves.

4 comments:

Trina said...

Emily, I think it speaks volumes about your family that the neighborhood children so readily flock to your home for some fun. It means they feel safe, welcome, and most importantly, loved. You might mean more to them than you realize. Sometimes I think people forget that with all the options to give to distant charities through a simple swipe of a credit card, that what they are paying for is others' time so that they personally do not have to actually face the issue they're hoping to help. Thank you for being so willing to embrace not only those you can't see (hello, 418 Stitches), but also those who are right next door...right under your nose.

Emily said...

Trina, your words are so kind. Thank you friend, for your encouragement!

lhassler said...

I echo Trina. You would fit right in with a bunch of our friends here in Richmond. Years ago they moved to the inner city with the goal to simply love on kids with bad, bad families. 11 years later, they have an amazing non-profit, have helped hundreds of kids stay in school and on and on. You have no idea what good you are bringing to those kids. Actually, you probably do. You are Jesus to those kids. That's why he has you where you are right now.

Jeremy and Whitney Lloyd said...

How fun!!! We have mainly middle school boys on our street and they love playing w/Bella in the afternoons...they will all be shooting hoops etc and as soon as she is up from her nap they say "hey baby Bella is up...let's go play!". SO funny!!! :)