Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Helpful Task" Chart

That's how Jake framed "chores" for Abby Jane the other day: "helpful tasks." He said it sounded more positive. I have to agree. See, that Ph.D. work is already paying off.

I would like to make one to start giving Janie official tasks that are always hers. I seem to remember some of your blog posts concerning how you did yours, but I can't recall who it was. I know we'll be revamping it as the twins get old enough to contribute, but I want to go ahead and start setting some precedents now. Can whoever it was send me the link to that blog post or to the website that inspired you? I can think up my own spreadsheet of actual tasks (making bed, doing silverware, picking up, etc.), but I guarantee someone out there has thought of a particularly clever way to display it.

Once I make my chart, should I laminate it? Do you use stickers to put in squares? Do you make a new one every month? Thanks!

2 comments:

The Muncies said...

this is the best site! she just posted this the other day. i am downloading now -- k can for sure start a lot of these!

http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/2011/01/chore-chart-cards.html

lhassler said...

It's great you're posting this. Just yesterday we decided we needed to do something like that, mainly because we needed a device for A to give to her Sunday School offering. We didn't like just giving her pennies to put in the can. we'd much rather she earn them. So, our rewards will actually be pennies. One for each day that she completes her chores. And then two of them will go to church: One to her Sunday School, One to grown-up offering and 5 to her own piggy bank.