Monday, November 15, 2010

Kitchen Input

The girls are getting a kitchen for Christmas, and we have narrowed it down to two. The Pottery Barn Kids one is my absolute ideal, aesthetically, but all the reviews say it scratches easily, and I just love the Kidkraft products anyways. It also seems to be more bang for buck.

So it dawned on me that some of you readers may have one of the ones we are deciding between and can help us out.

This first one is the Red Retro kitchen (do you see a theme here?) I think it is so cute- I obviously am drawn to the red retro look, and this one seems to have everything we need.
The second is the Let's Cook kitchen. It is not nearly as cute, but it is about a foot higher and longer and may be more suitable for three girls wanting to play all at once.

So... do we choose what I think is much cuter, or what is likely the best kitchen for our family?

I think what I'm wanting to hear is that someone out there has the red retro kitchen and their three children can all play on it at the same time. Or that you, too, picked the kitchen that wasn't as cute but you don't regret it.

P.S. Yes, I know the red retro comes in pink, but we are in a potentially losing battle to avoid our house turning 100% pink, and we plan for this kitchen to eventually be in a playroom, not one of the girls' bedrooms.

9 comments:

Shelley said...

we have the kidkraft and been happy with it, I think pottery barn might be a little bit better quality, but so far no complaints. Can't wait to see which one yall get

lhassler said...

We've been hemming and hawing about this since last Christmas. Maybe this forum will put us over the edge on whether and which. Thanks for putting it out there.

Sara said...

We are getting the kids the second one (let's cook) this Christmas. I have looked at every wooden kitchen out there, and this one is the winner for us. Obviously, we haven't used it yet, but I feel like the size of it was a big determining factor, since Q is four. Also the best deal I found was Walmart Site to Store for $132. You can't beat that! My favorite look of a kitchen was Land of Nod, but I couldn't justify spending that much. Let me know what you decide.

Sara said...

But I do agree the red retro is cuter. :) Tough decision. You can't go wrong either way.

Emily said...

We have friends who have the Let's Cook kitchen and I think it's great. It seems so durable and multiple kids can play with it at once. Good luck. I good kitchen is worth it...all three of mine have really loved ours!

Bev Elliott said...

I vote the red retro. You will be looking at it for a long time.... (ie my basement!As far as how many can play on it at once you could always angle it out, plus somebody will be sitting at the table too. Won't the red table be cute with either!

Sandy said...

Bev and I have the same thought...you'll be looking at it a long time. I vote red retro...

LB said...

Emily--first of all, your heading picture is so cute.

As for the kitchen, I almost bought Ada the red retro kitchen b/c it is so cute, but I found a great deal on a kidcraft kitchen very similar to the second one you posted and ended up buying it. We love it, and we have it right in the dining room (play room, really), and it doesn't take away from the "decor" too badly. I say with three girls, go with the larger one. Ada plays with her kitchen everyday, so you want them all to be able to play (though you really can't go wrong with either choice)

Carrie said...

We have a Kidkraft Island Kitchen which has doors and kitchen things on both sides. It has actually worked really well when Mihret has a friend over or Mihret and Zinash play together because you can have one kid on either side. It was a bear to put together because the directions were confusing, but after multiple re-dos we did it! It is durable and has been a ton of fun for the girls.

Both of the ones you are looking at are really cute. You might be able to set up the Red Retro one in a way that girls can use both sides since it has a similar layout to the one we have. When it comes down to it, I say you should choose the one you really like. They're going to have fun with any of them.