Friday, December 2, 2011

Giving Thanks

We camped out at Grammy's last week for Thanksgiving, joined by Jodi, Chris and the kids, sorely missing the Elliotts and Gillies, both now overseas.  

Grammy does the craziest things when she gives that turkey a bath. 
On Thanksgiving morning, I ran the Thanksgiving half and had a delightful crew waiting for me at the finish line.
At this point, I was in tunnel vision for the finish line and didn't hear their sweet voices.  But at least Jake got a picture from the neck down.
I have the best husband ever to rally the girls, bundle them, and get them downtown at the perfect time!
Stretching buddies.
Before I leave the topic of the race, I must share one of the most memorable moments.  Around mile six, I smelled something AWFUL and thought I was near a dog park or something since I saw a few dogs with bystanders right there. Nope. A man in his late 50's had just run right in front of me... and shall we say he chose not to stop at a port-a-potty when it would have been a REALLY good idea. And the results were coming through his shorts, going down his legs, and caked on.  I'M NOT KIDDING!  HORRENDOUS. And people, let me remind you that it was mile six of a Thanksgiving race, and it's not like he was winning the Boston marathon and on mile 12.

Moving on. Sweet Joy wanted to stretch just like mama, too.
Mimi and Bop Bop joined us for the late afternoon and Bop Bop wasted no time in holding court in the tree house.
We had some work-up-an appetite-for-Thanksgiving time.  The following series of pictures is a delightful example of like-father-like-son.  I'm glad I married this son of this father.


Jake helped Abby Jane practice on Katie's bike.  This picture may or may not be a foreshadowing of Christmas day... :)
Joy and Bop Bop in Bop Bop's traditional "head-bump"- he greeting and goodbye with the little ones.
Speaking of traditions, every Thanksgiving my entire life has had this guy on the wall, and every year the hands change, depending on who is there to have their hand traced.  If you plan on sitting down for dinner, your hand better be on that wall.
This year's crew.  You can even see Blythey peeking around the corner on the left.
We celebrated three birthdays with this RIDICULOUSLY AMAZING cake, if I do say so myself.
Katie custom ordered this dress from Aunt Em for her eighth birthday. I was extremely honored by her enthusiasm- because of course, at eight, you have a very established sense of fashion.
Uncle Chris is a super-star uncle.
Manly Ian being bold enough to try on a flowery headband.
Aunt Jodi is proudly saying she is my girls' favorite aunt in the whole country... which is true because their other two aunts are on two other continents.
Look at the love Blythe and Joy were soaking up at the park!

The twins weren't the only ones having fun!
We celebrated Christmas early.
Maggie tried on new PJs.

The uncles manning the kids.
I loved these goodbye moments that I got of Chris and the girls.

The gaping hole of missing family was so sad, but we did get in some great skype chats!  Thank goodness for skype. All in all, it was a fantastic Thanksgiving, full of reminders of all we have to be thankful for.

No comments: