Friday, May 27, 2011

Spring in the Mountains

Last weekend we returned to Vogel State Park for another Gillies/Gross' camping extravaganza. Joy had her camping face on from the moment we got there.
Not one to waste time, Abby Jane got in her very first s'more even before the Gillies arrived Friday night!Saturday morning hanging with Daddy. In her new camp chair. We decided Blythe and Joy qualify for their own now. Not that they sat in them much. Abby Jane prefers the purple one to her own orange one.Aunt Betsy has two boys, but she is a gem with my girls, even scooping up a Joy in a less-than-precious moment (not the one pictured here) and lured her away with the offer to find some butterflies. It's called Aunt Betsy magic.I like this picture because of all the little people camp chairs and tricycles pictured for our total of five kiddos, four and under.Both mornings, we went for a lovely hike around the lake. Sandy and Ken drove up Saturday morning and arrived as we were beginning on Saturday. Blythe took in the hike from my back.Joy vacillated back and forth between Jake's pack and her hiking buddy of choice, Mimi.
The oldest three are chasing Bop Bop, who has disappeared out of view here. He is a Pied Piper with his grandchildren.
Our family (go here for my blog on our last trip here- I love comparing how much the girls have grown!)
All that backpack riding can really wear a Blythe out.
But she was awake later in the day as we helped Abby Jane with her form on the putt putt course. (P.S. Cade, at four, has a golf swing that most grown men would covet. Seriously.)
One of my personal highlights of the weekend was seeing everyone play in this creek. It was mountain spring cold, very shallow, and perfect for splashing and playing in!



Blythe and Joy were soaked completely through. The girls are going to be T.R.O.U.B.L.E. at the beach this summer!
"We're busy eating apples, here, Mom."
Around the campfire Saturday night... and of course, the after kid-bedtime adult time around the campfire accounts for a big percentage of why everyone should go camping. GREAT, GREAT time, undistracted conversation, just enjoying relationships. S'mores and wine are a great combination for said adult time, too.
On Sunday morning, Bop Bop had bubbles ready for when the kiddos needed some distraction before we were all ready to go on our hike. Eating the bubbles became more popular than popping them.
We were standing up on the bridge (where I am when I took the picture) and Joy goes, "Uh oh. Uh oh. Uh oh." I notice she is lacking a sandal. Sure enough, we see it come out the other side of the bridge, and Jake wades in to rescue it. What I also like about this picture is my husband's security in sporting the very practical- though-potentially-from-the-90's Tevas. Hey, no Tevas, and we might be one Joy sandal fewer in our household.
Mountain Laurel was still blooming. I have to say, this is one of my favorite pics from the weekend. We surely love the Gillies family, and I loved capturing Betsy and Paul just enjoying their precious boys on a beautiful day.
The lake we walked around both mornings...
Jake and Joy
Blythe kicking back with her daddy...
Mimi and Bop Bop plus five hooligans!
While we were packing up, Betsy and Sandy entertained all the kiddos with ice, ice chests, and water. It was beyond a classic moment. Yes, Blythe and Joy are the only ones who remained fully clothed (though soaked) because if we take off their clothes, they think they're getting a bath and want get completely "mick mick" as Joy says our family's term of "nick nick"... good times, good times.
We were so thankful to escape to the cool of the mountains with such precious family as we begin summer!

3 comments:

Bev Elliott said...

How I love camping and those sweet family moments...The campfire chats and hikes and mountain cool...I loved the different match-ups for hiking partners... always happens. I have a similar picture of you passed out in dad's backpack out west,at exactly the same age as Blythe...

JJ said...

how fun! miss ya'll alot!

lhassler said...

What a great time! I have to say, I LOVE my Tevas. Love them. I've only ever owned two pair. When my first pair died I actually had a burial for them. It was that tragic. So, go Jake, go! I even just bought Tevas for my girls. Hah!