Monday, March 8, 2010

Zen Sandwich and more

This weekend we caught a glimpse of post-doctoral life by having two full days of "just-us," laid-back family time. Here's some pictures from when we played in a field and had a picnic at Kennesaw Mountain on the beautiful sunshiny day that was Saturday. To say the weekend was therapy is an understatement.
Abby Jane about to hug Joy in the Bjorn...
When Jake referred to the lunch I am obsessed with as my "Zen Sandwich" yesterday, I decided it needed some face time. It is actually a wrap, and it is so delicious that I look forward to absolutely SAVORING a variation of it EVERY DAY. Here is today's Zen Sandwich...
The bones:
Ezekiel sprouted grain tortilla (thanks, Les, for getting me hooked on our Jan. visit out there!)
a very thin layer of hummus (maybe 1 tsp)
generous amount of spring mix or baby lettuce mix
light drizzle of light balsamic vinaigrette

The other additions I choose from:
turkey
red, yellow, or orange peppers
purple onion
avocado
swiss cheese
edamame

Warm it for 20 seconds after assembling so the poor wrap can attempt to close over all that deliciousness!!

Last night we had chicken and onion kebabs (with tomatoes, peppers, and mushrooms added) and LOVED the dipping sauce (though grating onion has a mascara-running-down-your-cheek pungency!!!) We had the gorgonzola-walnut potatoes in this month's Southern Living and were equally delighted. I did use fat-free half and half, cut the butter in half, and amped up the gorgonzola to 3/4 cup instead. Easy, fast, and pure delight.

1 comment:

lhassler said...

Ok, you've inspired me. Your daily Zen Sandwich sounds much like my daily feta, walnut, apple, spring greens and vinegar salad. Now I need to get me those tortillas and make it a sammy!