2. Abby Jane was 17 lb. 7 oz on her 6 month visit several weeks ago! So we need to start planning for that next car seat soon, since ours is only rear-facing. What kind of carseat do you have? I'm going to do some research on my own, but it's always good to know what real-life mamas like!
Monday, September 8, 2008
Two questions for the Mama panel...
1. As my child gets closer to 1 year than she is to birth, I am realizing that I need to read some parenting books to prepare me for the stages to come! I've read and highly recommend "Grace-based Parenting" by Tim Kimmel, and I'm currently reading "The Power of a Praying Parent" by Stormie O'Martian. What is your favorite parenting book- on discipline or anything coming up? Keep in mind that my sweet girl leans towards the "strong willed" side (Dobson has a book on that)... though we like to call it "persevering".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Emily, I love Sheparding a Child's Heart, and I have never read but have heard great things about Don't Make Me Count to Three. It is next on my reading list.
hey em-we have a graco saferide carseat and love it-i can't rememeber the exact name, but it was on consumer reports top 5 carseats for safety...it's around $70 or so. we had to have 3 for the way we move mary evans around each day (jamie, me, and my sis who keeps her), so we couldn't spend 250-300 on each one...i think the britax is good though if you want to spend more...the graco has been great though-nice looking, easy to use, cupholder, etc. so give it a look:) can't wait to see yall in a couple of weeks and see that sweet abby jane!!! mag
We have the Britax Roundabout, which I found for a lower price than normal at Albeebaby.com. We have loved it and it is easy to work with, easy enough to move from car to car and fits her great! I was also going to recommend Shepherding a child's heart, I think the author is Ted Tripp.
I have Sheparding a Child's Heart and Don't Make Me Count to Three...I need to get on reading them as we are starting to see a little temper emerging! I wish we could do a blog Bible study discussion! Can we figure out how to get that going??
We have the britax marathon...she can stay in it forever!
I've wondered the same thing lately! Many people have recommended Sheparding a Child's Heart. Luckily, I've only seen Wes' personality emerge in Colt- super laid back. I'm sure my personality will come out sometime! :) Looking forward to seeing you!
I am currently interested in the curriculum on momsnotes.com. I've heard great things about it and there are a lot of resources there too.
Also, we haven't bought the new car seat bc Mallory is not yet 20 lbs but I've heard the Britax Marathon is the best, not the cheapest, but the best!
Love you !
Well, you must have some like-minded friends. :)
I have read both Shepherding a Child's Heart (Tripp) and Don't make me Count to Three (Plowman). I highly recommend both, as they are both very Biblically based. Also we have the Britax Roundabout and love it. I think it is cheaper than the Marathon, just doesn't go up as high in the weight max. I think the Roundabout is not as wide as the Marathon and doesn't take up as much room in your back seat.
Also I have been meaning to mention to you that your struggles with Abby Jane going to strangers sound exactly like Quinn. He has always had a really hard time in nursery, with babysitters, and mom's-day-out. You are doing the right thing by still going out anyway. QB still struggles with this, but I am starting to see a glimmer of hope this fall with a few consistent babysitters. I think he has split personalities. He is the life of the party at home and then shy and clingy in public. Who would have thought we would have a shy child? Oh, and he is very strong willed, like your sweet girl. All the more reason to be ready for the terrific twos. Love you, friend!
Emily!!
I was reading your blog and can't believe how BIG abby jane is getting. She is so adorable!!! I wanted to comment on this post because I feel very strongly on both the subjects---discipline and safety!! First the discipline area---we are struggling in this new "adventureous" phase and have read bits and pieces of "Toddler Wise" its in the BabyWise family of books. It is wonderful and talks alot about structuring their days and setting boundaries. I haven't read it but I have also heard a lot about "Shepherding a Child's Heart." I can't fully recomend it because I haven't read it but it might be worth checking into. As for safety (car seat) we went ahead and bought a Britax Boulevard (not the marathon) because it is exactly like the Boulevard but it has the added head-wing protection. It is the same car seat as the marathon but with a little more safety features. It isn't cheap, but we thought it was the one area we wouldn't mind spending a little more money in. I got a good deal on it at bestbuybaby.com Just wanted to pass that along to you. We have been really pleased with it. I definitely think Abby Jane looks like you with her precious little scrunched up nose:-) I am currently training for my first
10k (Vulcan Run here in Bham) and think of you often!!
Post a Comment