Friday, September 5, 2008

Car Wreck in the Canyon!

So we had our first California fender bender today, and I'm proud to say that I was not at fault (which was because we were moving forwards- I only have wrecks when I'm backing up).  A car in front of me on the Malibu Canyon stopped very quickly to make a turn.  So I stopped quickly to avoid hitting him, but the three cars behind me weren't so lucky.  Abby Jane slept through the whole impact and only woke up when I turned the car off.  We had damage to the back of our Explorer that we bought used in April, but it's still very drivable, mainly just cosmetic stuff.  
Two of the three cars behind me were driven by very nice Malibu residents.  We'll never know anything about the person in the last car who presumably caused all the collisions b/c they hit and ran.  So unless it turns out that the girl behind me hit me on her own, we're out $500.  She was nice and all, but I hope her insurance ends up having to pay for our damage!
THE MOST DISCONCERTING part of the whole thing is that the police never came to write a report!  I called 911 to ask for an officer, gave the specific location and my cell number, and they said they'd send someone.  About 30 minutes later, we flagged down a sheriff.  She wouldn't write it up and said she was surprised they were sending someone since there weren't injuries.  She said if we were in Van Nuys, they wouldn't send anyone.  What's that supposed to mean?  I said, "Well, I'm glad we don't live in Van Nuys!" A HOT hour later, one of the other girls called to see if someone was coming, and they said they had no record of the call and that they had no one available to send!!!  I normally am a big fan of police, but I didn't love sitting on the side of the road with my baby in the heat waiting for someone who wasn't coming.  Oh well, you live and learn.  And we're safe and sound!  Happy weekend, friends!

1 comment:

lhassler said...

Em, I second that motion on the LAPD. Ireported several drunk drivers in the canyon by calling 911. I should say, I've reported them after being PLACED ON HOLD for nearly 5 minutes and then the operator has been barely interested. Sheesh. I mean...5 minutes on hold for 911? You get better service through credit card customer service. I'm glad you and AJ are ok!