To fully appreciate Sally, you have to know how she arrived in my life. The summer after my freshman year, my friend Grace and I spend a month on a missions trip in the Amazon jungle, living extremely, extremely primitively. Maybe I'll blog about that someday, but that's not today's story. Suffice it to say, I had culture shock arriving back in the States. As in Grace and I slept outside on my mom's back deck one of our first nights home because it seemed more normal than sleeping indoors in a bed. We also walked to Kmart (five miles round trip) to develop our pictures. Because the ability to be in a car just was so bizarre. Our lives had been forever changed by that trip, and it was a really, really difficult transition back into our world.
My sweet and generous mom, not knowing what shape I was coming home in, had that brand spanking new Jeep Grand Cherokee sitting in the driveway with a huge red bow on top when we arrived home from the airport. I was so thankful for her amazing gift, but at that moment Sally couldn't have demonstrated a starker contrast between my world and the world I had just left. On top of all that, it ALSO signified me having to give up my absolutely beloved Jeep Wrangler. So Sally and I had a rough beginning.
Luckily, we eventually bonded, and this is what I told Facebook the night we sold her, pictures interjected: "We just sold Sally, the Jeep that's been in my life since my sophomore year at Auburn. She's taken a lot of you on college rode trips, drove Jake and I away from our wedding,
![]() |
| In front of our first home |
I cried when they drove her away. But her new owner is... entering her sophomore year of college. May Sally continue to make many memories!
We'll miss you, old friend!"




No comments:
Post a Comment