Sunday, April 26, 2009

Breakfast Ideas?

First of all, thanks for all the congrats, friends!  It is so fun to share our exciting news with y'all!

This morning a little fantasy came true.  I was making some brownies to take to a friend this afternoon, and Abby Jane was wanting to see what was going on up on the counter.  So I explained the complex process of making brownies from a mix.  But then the best part... she helped me stir!  I know this is not a big deal, but it was really fun to have a first shared "cooking experience" with my girl.

Now, WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR TODDLER FOR BREAKFAST??!!  Abby Jane has vetoed her oatmeal (even after having cinnamon, a bit of brown sugar, applesauce AND blueberries added to it!) and will only eat a few Cheerios at breakfast.  She has eaten pancakes OK in the past, but that's probably not the healthiest thing to have every day.  

She'll eat up any fruit I give her in the mornings and drink her milk, but I feel like she should have some sort of carb in addition to her fruit and milk. FINALLY, she did seem to like the multigrain waffle I tried with her this morning, but I'd still love your ideas! 

9 comments:

McLove said...

Congrats!!! I am so excited for you guys how fun:) As for breakfast ideas...I struggle with that too. Avery does like scrambled eggs though:)

The Muncies said...

I make loaves of the Fiber One banana bread mix, slice it up, and keep them bagged in the freezer. Super easy to get out ahead of time. She eats that with low sugar yogurt or cottage cheese and fruit.

And when I do the bread...I add a large jar of baby food sweet potatoes, a shake of cinnamon and cloves, and a little vanilla. I make two boxes (two large loaves) at a time so I only do this every few weeks.

Saves us from having to think too much in the mornings too -- she calls out her menu on the changing table of muffin, vitamin, and milk!

The Slagleys said...

Kate likes scrambled eggs, pancakes, and yogurt. We just had to try several things until we found something she liked.

The Gregorys said...

Do you think she is ready for real oatmeal? Chris insists on only the "old fashioned" Quaker Oats which takes 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave. We add brown sugar and butter to it. Or the kids eat cereal or waffles. If you make waffles once a week and refrigerate them or freeze them, it wouldn't be so time consuming every morning. What about bagels? Have you tried those or English muffins? If all else fails, you could give her mom's bran muffins! Katie & I actually love them.

Anna Bean said...

Hey Emily,
We have tried those Martha White muffins from the grocery store. They are like $.95 and you just add milk. I added a ripe banana the other day for a little more fruit. She also likes apple NutraGrain bars. I don't know if my suggestions are the most healthy, but they add a bit of variety- which we really need.

Sara said...

I am super excited for ya'll!
QB ate eggs every morning for a while. Now he eats a waffle. Occasionally he will mix it up with Oatmeal or a banana.

Emily said...

Oh thanks for such great ideas!! For the record, it was Quaker old fashioned oatmeal that she vetoed. But I'm thankful for all these great new things to try!!

tmiller said...

Colt eats a Gerber breakfast bar every morning and a banana at school. He did eat yogurt or oatmeal but started insisting on feeding himself which was complete disaster! On Wednesdays my mom makes him eggs and sausage.

Carrie said...

Mihret is also a difficult one to feed at breakfast. I find that I have to keep a variety of things on hand because she gets bored with breakfast foods easily. Here are some things she likes (at least every now and then...): cottage cheese and fruit; flavored instant oatmeal (from the packets) - she's also not a fan of regular oatmeal; bites of my cereal (usually Life or Cheerios) with milk and fruit; toast; yogurt; cereal bars. She likes pancakes or waffles or eggs when I'm willing to make them, but probably wouldn't eat them every day even if I did make them every day. :) Good luck! If you come up with any other things that work for your girl, keep us posted!