Saturday, November 5, 2011

Give Thanks

The week after I met Lindsey last year, she told me she had a project for us. It was early November, and she said we were going to make these trees from Pottery Barn to do with our families.  
Well, it didn't actually happen last year, but finally it did last week in the course of one craft night at Lindsey's house and one afternoon at home. Good thing we only put it off for an entire year!
Every morning during breakfast, we say something we're thankful for and tuck it into that day's leaf. The girls get so excited about getting to put something on the tree, and it's really special starting each day talking about what we're thankful for as a family!

2 comments:

Thomas, Becca, and Bailey said...

How did you make your tree? Did you have some kind of pattern? I want to steal your idea for next year. :)

Emily said...

Becca, almost the whole thing is just felt from a craft store, except the numbers, which we ordered from a site on Etsy. I think you can get numbers at a craft store, too, but it was going to be cheaper to get 1-25 from the Etsy lady! Looking at the Pottery Barn pic online, we free-handed the trunk, orange tree background, and the letters, then Lindsey actually made templates for the leaves out of real leaves she found. Some of the leaves are felt, and some are fabric reinforced with stabilizer. We just glued everything together with felt glue. For the leaf pockets, we just glued around to bottom to leave room for the card. The original plan was to do cute stitching and use my sewing machine to attach them, but there just wasn't the time. I did sew a straight stitch across the top to slip a dowel in to hang the banner with, and I stitched the ribbon down on each side. Potentially glue would have been strong enough, but I guess it would just depend on what kind. Altogether, it was much easier than I thought it would be!