Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Saturday night swim

The Sheerins had us over to cook out and swim on Saturday night. We grabbed this pretty classic video as a taste of the girls' swimming this summer.

Here is Katie and her cackling-in-delight Carlton...
Blythe is content just to float around, even in the deep end, as long as she has an object in each hand...
Joy, as you saw in the video, is an unbelievable fish, and cries every time we have to leave the pool. She could do this for hours. Look at that face! And notice... there's no adult catching her. She's entirely independent, and can even climb up the ladder alone.
I have no words for this picture. Actually, I have a lot. Simply put, it brings me great delight to share with you this pic of Jake and Joy jumping into the deep end together.
I think there will be lots of pictures in the future of Jake and Joy doing something unexpected... like a 20 month old jumping into the deep end with her dad...

5 comments:

Bev Elliott said...

Yup... That's the way Joy's mother did it when she was just 4 days younger that same summer. Oh, except she didn't have a float on...and it was off a diving board. I'd say the girls have it in their genes. And maybe Blythe was a little more graceful...

lhassler said...

That's totally Eliana. I need to post our video of her favorite water entry- a total belly flop. In whatever direction a waiting parent is not standing. I need to get those floats you've got. Where did you get them? I love it when the littles take to water.

Amber Hanshaw said...

May I ask how big the twins are? I've tried the puddle jumper vest on my 21-month old an it just swallows her up. She has no fear either, so I have to keep something on her! Just having a hard time finding something that fits!

Emily said...

Amber, the little girls are probably around 27 lbs or so. They are definitely below the recommended weight, but they've sort of figured out how to work it. It took the first few weeks of summer for them to learn to be independent floaters since they ARE smaller than they're supposed to be to use those!

Amber Hanshaw said...

Naomi's about 23-24 pounds. Today I just used the arm rings and she did ok. Perhaps by next summer she will have it figured out! I do used the puddle jumper for James and it works great for him.