It is so sad to obliterate their delight and hopes that they're talking to a lady who may be going into labor at any second, an observation based on the size of my belly. Two of my favorite lines I've heard in the last week: "Any day now, huh?"and "We'd better get you in and out of here quick!" (after I walked into a store). Then it gets all awkward when I say, "Oh no, I'm not due until late October." If I were really mean, I'd leave it at that and make them feel terrible. But I always do add, "But I'm having twins, so it sure does look like I'm due tomorrow!" I really honestly have this same conversation multiple times a day. My mom ran errands with me this morning and witnessed the phenomenon. She asked if I should just carry a recording to play when someone starts to get all excited. It's pretty funny.
Now for the mortification.



So I'm new in town, right? Sort of? My mom and I took Abby Jane to a park on Sunday afternoon that has opened just recently, and we'd never played there before. She was still wearing the smocked dress that she had on at church, but I didn't change her b/c swings and slides are typically not too dirty.
I didn't count on the HUGE amazing "splashground" (there are probably 7 or 8 different water elements and fountains there!) that was about 50 feet from the swings, which are of course Abby Jane's obsession. So she starts asking for the "rain" as she call fountains, and the asking becomes more and more insistent (i.e. "I need rain!!!") until I start feeling TERRIBLE for not letting her to play in the water.
So I do what any good mom would do and took off her pretty dress and bloomers and let her run around in a DIAPER in those fountains with the hundred other appropriately attired children.
I have never felt so redneck in my life.
She drew even more attention to her little naked self by her total and boisterous glee and delight to be playing in those fabulous fountains. I was mortified, but she was happy, which is what counts, right?
I took no pictures because I didn't want the event visually recorded or her to ever say, "MOM HOW could you let me do that in front of ALL those people??"
So here are a few pictures at the same park (though few are centered- she was moving too fast!) when I took her back there yesterday.
Clothed.
7 comments:
Em, was it in the new part of the park in Roswell by the river- we have that near my house...looks the same!?! Cute pics. of Abby Jane!
Funny!
Just before I had LK,mom and I were shopping and I went in numerous stores and they said the same thing "we'd better get you in and out quick!" I really liked that phrase the least and the people (one teenage boy) seem so serious, like they fear they're about to have to deliver a baby. I mean I liked you're huge better- ha. I think you look beautiful!!
excited about seeing you on our girls trip :)
So cute! Colt and Savannah end up only in a diaper a lot! Its just easier than dealing with wet clothes!
Can't wait to see you guys this fall!!
HAHAHA about the diaper and splash park. Redneck. Hardly.
Not funny about your daily trials of explanations. Maybe you should just wear a t-shirt, or a tag which states: "twins...due in October."
Oh my gosh Em...I laughed outloud at this blog post!!!!! :)
We sure do miss you around here Em! Glad you and the girls (and Jake) are doing well :)
Em, she is soooo cute!!!!
Post a Comment