Monday, July 2, 2012

Mr. Edward

One very full morning last week, I squeezed a Publix run into several other errands. It was one of those days that you bring a cooler with you to the store because you're not going home afterwards. We walk in and the first person we see is Mr. Edward.

The first time I met Mr. Edward, I was pretty sure he might have actually been an angel wearing a Publix uniform. With that in mind, I genuinely didn't think I'd see him again because I was so convinced. It was one of those long mornings when the twins were infants and the way we rolled at the grocery store was one baby in the Baby Bjorn, one baby in the car seat in the big part of the grocery cart, and Abby Jane riding up top. Not much room for groceries, but it's what you do when you have three babies. Mr. Edward bagged our groceries that day, insisted upon helping me to the car even though I commonly refused assistance back in those days... why, I'm not sure... made sure I got everyone situated in their seats, then even waited by my door while I finished with the babies and closed my door for me. In the midst of a busy, physically exhausting time of my life, those over-and-above courtesies, gallantry, and kindness just blessed my heart beyond words.

From that day on, Mr. Edward was the best part of Publix. Turned out he's a human, not an angel, and we got to see him all the time. He cannot be refused and always insists upon helping. He's about my height, Asian, very small-framed, probably close to 70, and has amazing energy and strength. He regularly produces coloring books and crayons for the girls and goes out of his way to make sure we are taken care of. I LOVE him and would go out of my way to go to my Publix because he just raises the level of excellence in the atmosphere around him in general. His behavior towards us commonly sparked a conversation with the girls about what a gentleman is on our way home from the store.

Well, when we saw Mr. Edward that morning last week, the first thing he said was that it was his last day and he was retiring. I was so happy for him and yet so so sad to be losing him as a part of our lives. We picked out a plant in the floral section to give him as a thank you. He walked us out for the last time, and I thanked him for how much he had blessed us and told him how much we'd miss him. I told him specific ways his kindness was so special to me. We hugged in the parking lot. He asked where I wanted him to put my flowers, and I told him they were for him. I don't know that I've seen many faces more stunned than his just then. And that's who he is- so humble about his service that he definitely did not expect a thing in return. He actually tried to convince me to take it home with us, but that was not going to happen.  After the girls were all strapped in and we said our goodbyes, Mr. Edward and I simultaneously said, "God bless!"

And there it was. Mr. Edward was not a guardian angel. He just loved Jesus, and it showed.

3 comments:

Bev Elliott said...

Your Mr Edward reminds me of "Miss Frances" when you were little, at A&P. Remember her?

lhassler said...

Man, that makes my eyes well up. How awesome. At every level.

Bridget said...

love it...how blessed we are by those around us. Thanks for sharing!!