Friday, June 1, 2012

Book List


  • A few days ago, I asked facebook for book suggestions that are not romances, murder mysteries, comedies, or anything spiritual. I asked for books that were social justice-ish, tied to history, or just a great story. Something in the genre of The Help or Same Kind of Different as Me. I'm in the middle of David Platt's "Radical", and I can only soak in so much spiritual concepts before I am simply reading and not absorbing, thus the non- spiritual request. I received lots of great recommendations that fell within those guidelines, most of which I have never heard of before, so I wanted to share them with you as well as record them for me to look into in the future!

    Before I get to the list, though, check out the website for my dear friend Mikelyn's new book, which is coming out very soon!! If it were available yet, it would be my next book of choice, hands down!

    1. Same Kind of Different as me has a second book out...
    2. Kisses for Kate (comments from two people)
    3. Dietrich Bonhoffer
    4. Elizabeth Musser: (comments from four people) Swan House, The Dwelling Place, Searching for Eternity
    5. Anne Lamott
    6. Annie Dillard: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
    7. Dorothy Sayers: Mind of the Maker
    8. Jeanette Walls: The Glass Castle
    9. Jodi Piccoult's fiction (comments from two people)
    10. Bel Canto
    11. The Red Tent
    12. Unbroken (comments from six people)
    13. Killing Lincoln
    14. The Robe
    15. Lonesome Dove
    16. Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
    17. Kathleen Grissom: The Kitchen House
    18. The Space Between us by Thrity Umrigar
    19. Hunger Games (comments from six people)
    20. Promise Me
    21. Andre Agassi's bio
    22. The Mysterious Benedict Society
    23. My life in France
    24. White Like Me by Tim Wise
    25. The Wedding Gift
    26. Elizabeth Street
    27. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    28. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (comments from two people)
    29. The Color of Water
    30. The Year of Living Biblically
    31. Start Something that Matters
    32. No Impact Man
    33. Ayn Rands: Atlas Shrugged
    34. Edward Rutherford: New York
    35. Long Way Gone



No comments: